Welcome to the UPDATES feed for OMM ICELAND 2017. We’ll be posting updates in the build up and during the event here. You are welcome to download and share any of the images.
Sunday 28th May: Race over! Iceland you are amazing.
What a weekend! Iceland is an incredible country and we love bringing the OMM here. We’ll have full results and reports up for you shortly but in the meantime thank you to all the competitors for making the event such a special weekend. You’re welcome to download and images you would like. Blue lagoon time!
Saturday 27th May: All competitors are in at camp.
All competitors are now in camp. The team are just working through a couple of queries on the results. Once this is complete we’ll get them posted for you. Leaders at the end of day 1:
1. Nick Barrable + Tom Fellbaum
2. Alastair Hodges/GrahamAnderson
3. Jonathan Hickey/Paul Jackson
1. Thomas and Janet Thorpe
2. Bill and Gina Mumford
3. Conrad Kelly/Nicola Roper
Saturday 27th May: Day 1, mixed conditions and close racing.
It was a tough day of racing with mixed conditions for the competitors. Results are being compiled now and we’ll have them out to you shortly. First few images are in the image folder….
Friday 26th May: Registration in full flow.
OMM Iceland update: All is well after a brief moment EasyJet decided some competitors and their kit had to compete separately. Everyone now settled in to camp or making their way to registration. Race starts tomorrow!
Friday 26th May: Course is set and we’re ready to go!
We arrived in Reykjanes on Tuesday and headed straight into the hills to get the pre marked checkpoints in place ready for competitors. Iceland is a stunning country and we’re glad to be back amongst the volcanoes and ash fields. As of 1pm today the first competitors have arrived and are getting set up on the camp ground. We’re looking forward to an exciting race…..
19th May: 1 week to go!
Apologies for the website issues we’ve been having but here’s a reminder of some important things you need to do and important information about water supplies you need to read before the OMM Iceland next week!
KIT LIST AND DECLARATION
- Reduce queuing time at registration, and SAVE YOUR TIME, download, print out, complete and sign the declaration BEFORE coming to registration, you can do that HERE – This needs to be completed and handed in for every team taking part. Remember each team must have everything on the Compulsory kit list to take part.
- Have you got everything on the Compulsory Kit List? The list is based on extensive knowledge of what can occur in the mountains and in particular the possible conditions that may occur in Iceland at this time of the year, after a period of higher than usual temperatures, the area just had a couple of days of Snow, In Scotland they talk about the possibility of 4 seasons in one day, in Iceland they talk about the possibility of 4 seasons in 1 hour. However myself and competitors did spend one Saturday night in T-shirt and shorts at midnight waiting for the sun to set, sadly at other times, it has not been so good. The Saturday night camp has a sea view, sheltered on 3 sides, with easy access from the road, whilst a lot of the course has a good mobile signal, at the camp, the sheltered position means the signal can be restricted, a short walk uphill can resolve that.
- Transport to and from the Airport. This should have been pre-booked, but if you have not please email Emma by Sunday 21st May 17. Coach leaves the airport at either 10:30 or 16:30 on Friday and returns at 13:15 on Sunday. The bus sizes will be booked to suit the numbers required, so please make sure you have booked, the bus may not be able to accommodate you at the last minute.
- Coach booking list here.
- When you leave Race HQ by bus at Grindavik on Saturday morning, you must take water with you, there is not any water available at the Start line, you can take extra, and leave the bottle in a Rubbish bag at the start line for us to dispose of. Depending on your route choice, on day one there are a number of places you can refill with water, although we recommend the steaming, bubbling, muddy pools that smell like rotten eggs are avoided !!!
- Water Day 2 is very scarce, it may be possible to choose a route that does not have any water supply, you should make sure you start the day with 1.5 litres of water,
- Saturday night camp, there is running water from a tap, 2 x flushing toilets with small sinks, and 2 sinks for washing up.
- We will only have what is pre-ordered, this is a service to assist you, we don’t stock Gas in Iceland, and will go to the shop the same as you would, last year we had to visit 3 shops to get enough Order HERE
PLEASE NOTE If the Gas is not pre-ordered by Sunday 21st May we won’t have it. From Race HQ It will be a 3-hour round trip for us to get the amount of Gas required. We can only go once.
FREEZE DRIED FOOD AND EQUIPMENT
- Freeze Dried Food, for the Highest Energy, Lightest weight, and Most compact size, you can Order the Extreme Adventure Food HERE, along with Ultra Fuel Liquid Food and 4:1 Endurance fuel, designed specifically for Ultra running, for Overseas competitors, this can also be collected in Iceland.
- If you still need any kit, you can get most things at this Website, for overseas competitors, this can be taken to Iceland by pre-arrangement, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange.
BLUE LAGOON AND TRAVEL
- If you want to join the OMM group on Sunday afternoon at the Blue Lagoon, it’s a better rate, and you will be in the fast track group lane, instead of the normal price and what is often a very long Queue, if not contact Jorunn or Solveig at All-Iceland on email@example.com. TOP TIP, towels not included, save money take your own, remove all Jewellery before entering the Lagoon to avoid discolouring.
- Any last minute travel or accommodation plans, get in touch with Jorunn or Solveig at All-Iceland on firstname.lastname@example.org
27th February: OMM ICELAND TRAVEL PACKAGE
We at All Iceland are the official travel partners for OMM Iceland and can help book flights, transport and so on during the event to ensure all goes smoothly. Click to view the OMM Iceland Travel Package. Of course we can tailor make if you would like to do anything differently. Travel with confidence with the expert knowledge of a fully ATOL and ABTA bonded specialist. If you have booked parts of your travels but need help with some extras, get in touch and we will help you in any way we can!
HERTZ RENTAL CAR DEAL 3 FOR 2
Price from £99. Hertz Rental Car, Toyota Aygo or similar for 3 consecutive days (but pay for only 2) picked up and dropped off at Keflavík International Airport. INCLUDES: Free extra driver, Unlimited Miles, Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Theft Protection Waiver, Tax and Drop off Charge and Sat Nav for your convenience. This is the easiest way to get to and from the airport, make the most of your time in Iceland and explore freely.
STAY AT OMM HQ HOTEL
Ensure you get a good night sleep on Friday 26th of May, enjoy a great breakfast before the big day by staying at OMM HQ Hotel. Double / twin room with breakfast from £72 per person based on 2 sharing. Very limited rooms available!!
BLUE LAGOON ENTRY AND TRANSPORT
Celebrate finishing the race and relax in the Blue Lagoon Geothermal Spa on Sunday 28th of May after the race finish.Special Offer for OMM Competitors! Standard entry only from £45 per person, entry with transport from race finish to Blue Lagoon and onward to Reykjavík from £90 per person. There are also various other options for entry including luxury packages if you want an extra treat! Ask us for details. Spaces are very limited and the Blue Lagoon will be fully booked on the day
16th February: Competitor Update!
BLUE LAGOON OMM GROUP BOOKING : Join the OMM group booking at the Blue Lagoon on Sunday after the event, save TIME, MONEY & DISAPPOINTMENT. If you have been before a lot has changed in the last year, if you just turn up, there is more than a 99% chance you will not get in, if you do get in, you will probably have to wait quite a long time, and you will pay more. Avoid the queue and be fast tracked with guaranteed entry and lower cost by joining the OMM group booking, contact jorunn or Solveig
at email@example.com to book your place.
BUS FROM AIRPORT TO RACE HQ : On Fridayafternoon 26th May OMM will organise 2 buses for competitors only to leave Keflavik airport to go to Race HQ, ( Times will be advised in a later Newsletter ) to enable us to make sure there are enough places on each bus, You MUST pre book your place, on one of these buses. If you are travelling to Race HQ from another location, we are unable to offer transport to Race HQ. On Sunday afternoon, we will also be arranging transport back to Keflavik airport for those catching the Late Sunday afternoon flights. These are the only transfers to and from the airport and Race HQ that are arranged by OMM. Other locations in Iceland and at other times are not included. If you have arrangements with All-Iceland they will either make sure you are on one of these buses, or advise you directly of your plans.
TRAVEL, CAR HIRE & TRIPS in Iceland, for the best deals with expert knowledge contact
All-Iceland at firstname.lastname@example.org, we are involved in a number of events in Iceland, at every event we see competitors who have spent an extra £100 to save £10, arrive late, miss the transport, get stranded, get a big bill, we recommend All-Iceland to sort out your travel and accommodation needs. The OMM Iceland crew use them for everything, it saves us time, hassle and money. Ask about the 24 hour no pay deal on hire cars left at Race HQ during the event.
An All-Iceland representative will be available at the event, to assist with bookings, accommodation and travel but are unable to influence problems with any bookings not made by them.
GAS FOR THE EVENT. In a Newsletter nearer the time, we will send you details of a link where you can pre order and pay for Gas you can collect at registration, we are unable to stock gas, and we will only have what is pre ordered .
Gas is available at many Petrol Stations in Iceland, but the OMM Iceland event is before the Icelandic camping season starts, so many garages will only have what they had left from 2016, if any at all. Last year we had to visit three places to get all the Gas pre ordered with us by competitors.
START TIMES ON SATURDAY MORNING : Because of the long days in Iceland at this time of year, we don’t start early. with good weather, it hardly gets dark at all. In 2017 you will be transported from Race HQ by bus to the start line. This enables everyone to experience some unique Icelandic features at the Eastern end of the course,m with checkpoints by bubbling mud pools, steam vents and fantastic scenery. Your start time will be advised in a Newsletter once registration closes, and the time your bus leaves Race HQ will be advised at registration. The finish line on Sunday will be very close to Race HQ, and the Saturday night campsite is on nice grass, with a flushing WC, and a sea view.
It is NOT POSSIBLE to leave vehicles at the start line, it is a remote location, with no services, and virtually no passing traffic.
OMM ICELAND EVENT TOP : For 2017 it will be the new version of the very popular
OMM Vector Zip a high wicking, lightweight insulation top, complete with stretch mitt, perfect for the Iceland OMM as either a base or mid layer, the Iceland OMM top will be embroidered on the chest with the Iceland OMM logo ( see the Logo at the top of this Newsletter ). The OMM logo as seen in the picture, will still be on the other side of the chest.
You can order yours HERE, all orders received by 1st May will ten be embroidered and despatched 8th May, or you can collect at registration in Iceland